Boyds Untethered #17


We have seen a number of these guys on the beach over the last couple of weeks.

I knew they were jellyfish but I didn't realize that they were the infamous Portuguese Man-o-War.... until Linda found an article about them in the Hustonia.

They are named for their resemblance to the sail of 18th century Portuguese war ship.(this particular one, not so much).

Their strands can grow up to 100 feet long and are used to trap and paralyze fish. Occasionally (and painfully) a random human swimmer’s leg or arm, will brush them.... imparting a very painful sting.

I have to confess that I had a thought or two about stepping on one just to see what would happen but I didn’t.... imagine my relief when I read that they could explode spraying you with their stinging venom. 

On dive boats I have often offered to pee on it, if someone gets a jellyfish sting.... but I have never had any takers and now I know why. The Houston Chronicle reports that urinating on a man o’ war sting or rubbing sand and seawater into it—as many believe will get the stingers out— does not, in fact work. 

Instead you’re supposed to just pour vinegar on it and sit in hot water for 45 minutes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boyds Untethered #59

Boyds Untethered #51

Boyds Untethered #26